Wednesday, April 29, 2009

General Conference with Family, Friends, and Great Food!

A few weeks ago, we had a potluck lunch at our home on Conference Sunday. It's always such an enjoyable day, with family and friends over to enjoy the wonderful words of our prophet and leaders.

So at mealtime, which we always have in-between the morning and afternoon sessions, we all gather at my 10' dining room table, which is filled with the favorite dish or two from each of the families that join us. Our family's favorite for the GC potluck, or for any Sunday dinner, for that matter, is Chili and Cornbread.
I thought that I would share the recipe for the cornbread today.

(And another day I will post the recipe for the Chili)
(Doing both is just too much work for me today)
(I wanted to post a picture of cornbread, but none that I could find looked as yummy as this is! It is fluffy and moist and sweet!)

I call this recipe Sampson-Style Cornbread, in honor of the missionary who shared his family recipe with ours. It's super quick and easy, and so so yummy!

2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 cup milk
5/8 cup margarine, melted
2 cups Bisquick
4 heaping TBS corn meal
1/2 tsp baking soda

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream together wet ingredients; mix dry ingredients together in a separate bowl; fold in dry ingredients until just blended. Spray cooking spray in a 9 x 13 baking dish, pour in batter, and cook for 22-28 minutes. Done when a knife inserted in the middle is only slight gooey. Do not overcook!


Hope you love it like we do!

8 comments:

Mrs. O said...

That sounds delicious!

Cynthia said...

I agree, that sounds delicious. I haven't made Corn Bread in a very long time. I rarely have Bisquick in the house but I actually do right now- we might have to give this a try!

Grace said...

that sounds great to have family friends over for conference and a potluck lunch...we have never done that...maybe we'll have to give that a try...i have a cornbread recipe that i make that i really like as well..it's all from scratch...it is in this cookbook that a friend gave me when Wes and I were married..its' easy and my kids love it. i love cornbread!

Maisy said...

yummy!
glad that was a nice day for you~

Pancake said...

Cant wait to try that! Sounds great!

Lara Neves said...

What a great tradition, and i love cornbread!

I really want to be able to make General Conference such a big deal that the kids really look forward to it. I'm working on it!

susette said...

yummers! I have never made it with bisquick before.

Hope your day is full of sunshine ☼

Kate said...

I will have to try it. My kids love corn bread. I just started making it about six months but it is always great to get a new recipe.