Saturday, April 21, 2012

Today....

My son Isaac turned twelve today.  He is one of the best kids around.

I will tell you a little story about his cake - yes this cake -  to give you an example.
 
He wanted a cake that he could decorate himself with his favorite candy.  
All boy, this one.  
So we picked up a cake at Costco, his favorite flavor.    
He didn’t want any cartoons or pictures on it 
and he didn't really want anything written on it, either, 
(but mom prevailed).
We got it home in one piece, 
but I set it down on our bench near the fridge 
while we moved things around to make space for it.  
What I didn’t realize is 
that I had set the edge of it on a binder 
so it was at a slight angle, 
and while we fussed with the fridge,
it s-l-o-w-l-y slid off the binder and upside down onto the floor.  
THANKfully the thick plastic wrap was still on it 
so I was able to pick it right up and flip it over.

However,

It was pretty odd-shaped and mushed, to say the least.

But instead of having a meltdown 
or refusing to have it at his party, 
Isaac just dealt with it.

He knew that it was too far to drive back and get another.  
(We live about 12 miles from town, 
and we have a Suburban.  Yeah.)

He knew that I didn’t have the time or 
the baking supplies to make him another. 

So he just cheerfully covered it with candy – 
I know - it looks kinda crazy. 
But crazy like the 12-year-old young man that he is becoming! 

Happy Birthday, Isaac!  I Love you!

1 comment:

Valerie said...

What a great guy! When he gets older that willingness to work with what comes will be an even bigger blessing. I probably woulda cried. :)