Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Epic Road Trip! (Via Airplane, Even Better!)

In 2003, when my oldest daughter, Kayla, was sixteen or seventeen, 
we went on a road trip to the Edmonton Mall.  
We had so much fun that I decided that I was going to do the same with my other two daughters.

Fast forward to 2010.
Finances were looking like there was no way! that Rachel and I could even think of doing a road trip together.

(Me and Rachel)

Then in early October, my mom and dad offered to fly us (courtesy of frequent flyer miles) down to Nashville TN, where they are currently serving a mission.   

Of course, we jumped at the chance! 

(me & my super mom)

(my adorable dad!)

While we were there, they treated us to some incredible adventures.
(we won't mention the not-so-great meal we had at the Cracker Barrel, a restaurant that we all had been wanting to try.   Don't need to try it again....)

Here are some photos from some of the places we went:

These are photos Rachel took of the glass sculptures at Cheekwood gardens. 
Amazing place.
Blown glass that mimics bamboo - incredible!



Went and had dinner at the famous Bluebird Cafe - super fun, with a live show. 

We went again a couple nights later for the open-mic night.  Here is Rachel and my mom and dad waiting in line....we all had a good time chatting with everyone.  People are super friendly and genuinely nice there!
Rachel was hoping to perform - we even brought her guitar with us on the plane - but luck was not on our side.  We had a great time, anyway.  Some of the performances were side-splittingly funny - some funny in a good way, and a couple of others, not so much....

This is the Carnton Plantation.  It was used as a hospital during the Civil War, after 40,000 troops on both sides fought just 1/2 mile from this plantation, and 10,000 of them lost their lives. 

Here is the place in Franklin where the battle took happened.  The homeowners hid in their basement while the bullets flew above them. 

(I have no idea why my parents are walking in different directions...?)
You can still see the bullet holes....
Another outbuilding.  These two buildings are small, and so some of the bullets when in and all the way out the other side....
We also visited the Grand Ole Opry, but didn't get to see a show.  Last May the Nashville area experienced torrential rain storms, and this area was under about 20 feet of water. The whole building had to be redone.

The ginormous guitar . . .


We also took a trip south of Nashville, to Amish country.  But of course, we have no photos ;-)

Thanks, mom and dad, for a wonderful trip!  We love you and had a great time spending time with you!

10 comments:

CB said...

First of all - trips one on one with kids = Fantastic!!
This is so neat that you not only got to go on a trip with Rachel but you got to see your parents too - very very nice.
I have never been to Tennessee - I love those glass sculptures - cool!

Mrs. O said...

What a fun tradition. And I love the glass sculpures.

Lara Neves said...

How wonderful! I'd love to go see Nashville someday! Looks like you girls had a blast!

mCat said...

How fun it all looks! And great pics

Joey Lynn Resciniti said...

Very cool! That mother/daughter time is something she'll remember forever.

Michelle said...

Good pictures Loralee! Hope your Mom and Dad are doing ok.

Emma said...

What a great trip, glad you had a good time. I love the old homes and their history.

susette said...

How fun to get to go visit your parents while on their mission. They probably enjoyed the company as well.

My husband read your comment on my blog about our house being a front to back split with the stairs being in the kitchen. He said you are very smart to be able to tell that. He thought most people wouldn't have known that. I told him probably because you guys flip houses and know a lot about house stuff :)

wendy said...

Well, holy smokes...I live only 3 1/2 hours away from the Edmonton Mall.
Second.....I have a niece who lives in Nashville. But I have never been there. I'd love to see the south.

I bet it was a wonderful trip for sure.

Valerie said...

What a fun idea to take one child on a trip. I love trips! Those glass sculptures are so pretty!