Monday, October 27, 2008

COMPUTER CHAOS

I don't know about you, but I think that the computer is one of the greatest inventions ever. They are such a huge part of our lives, that sometimes we take them for granted, and are even abusive towards them when they don't cooperate.
My dad worked on the inner workings of them from the time he began working in 1968 at Tektronics in Beaverton, OR, until he retired several years ago from Planar Systems. I began using one while taking a college accounting course when I was first married, when we still had to use long and complicated codes to get from one program to another, and continued when I worked at the bank after I had my first 2 kids. But the generation of computer that I am so loving these days is our current incarnation, complete with Windows systems to easily navigate from here to there.

However, there are times when they are also my source of complete frustration. Take for instance, the times I log on, or try to, and that nasty, ugly message appears, the one that signals the demise of all information (thankfully I have it backed up, thank you, Carbonite). This happened to me twice this summer, and most recently, last week, the day we were to depart for Arizona for a good friend's wedding.

So I guess that this is the long story of why I haven't posted any pictures -yet- of one of the best couple of days that I have had in the past few years, right up there with taking Chad to the MTC in February, and going to the temple with Mark's family in July. I will soon have my computer, or a computer back, depending on the prognosis. It may be time to retire my ancient Sony Vaio (must be about four years old by now). So till then I will have to do the work (and play) that I need to do early at night and early in the am, when I can borrow Rachel's homeschool laptop.

No comments: