Friday, May 22, 2009

It Could've Been the WORST Yet, But it Really Was the BEST!

Ask pretty much anyone over 40 and they will tell you that when it's their birthday, they would rather just ignore it. That's how I was feeling this year . . . really depressed, even, about getting older . . . until I set a goal for myself.

I've been running - well, more like slowly trotting - for about 15 years, pretty consistantly, except for when there's snow and ice - and the times I was pregnant.

But only short distances.

The farthest I had ever worked up to in all that time was 5 miles.

But usually it was just 2 or 3.

I never considered myself a 'runner'. . .

I was just exercising.

Then one day last month, my friend Missy called and asked if I wanted to do the MS Fun Run that was being held in our area. So, besides being for a good cause, it was Not a Competitive Race. Not at all. And it was 5 miles.
Perfect.

We had so much fun!

Realize that - I had Never run anywhere in "public" like that before.

I realized that it wasn't as embarrassing as I thought it would be!

I was hooked! And for the first time, I (briefly) thought of myself as a Runner . . .

Not long after that, I went on a longer run with Missy. Six miles this time. So, week by week, I have worked my way up mile by mile, to my goal of running 9 miles on my birthday!

So, Wednesday was the day.

As we jogged along, I was trying to pace myself as best as I could. Then I realized that my times were slow.

Way slow. I thought I must have my regular run miscalculated, and I had not really been running the distance that I thought.

Rats!

The last lap (of 4) was WAY more difficult than I thought it should have been.

Halfway thru that last excruciating lap, Missy turned around and jogged backwards for a minute (I told you she was in great shape, didn't it?) and told me, "this is the last mile".

What I realize now that what she was doing, was assessing my "condition"!


Finally, with much talking to myself ("I'm almost there, I can keep going" over and over), I reached the end of the route!

And then Missy turned around and and said " You did it!"
"And now I want you to go home and get on Facebook, and post a comment that says -
"Today is my 45th birthday, and I just ran 10 MILES for the first time ever!" "


That little turkey! She tricked me! But I am so glad that she did, because mentally, I don't think I could have done it any other way. Not yet.

So, Missy, thanks a lot! Really, THANKS!

So, now -

I. Am. A. Runner.

But, this was not the end of my day . . .

I finally got to go to the hair salon, where I got my hair cut and (professionally) colored.

Thank you, Suzanne! While I was there, my hubby called and we made plans to meet for lunch - at Chili's. Yum!
Then, when I got home, the house was clean!

I started to wonder a little bit, and then get really suspicious when they KEPT cleaning the house. The windows, too. Dead giveaway, people.

Then I saw little people in my driveway, carrying bags. (Missy's kids - she's also my next-door-neighbor)

My sweet husband had planned a surprise birthday party for me! Cool! Me & the girls
Card from Missy (aka the Trickster!) & family - but she did redeem herself by getting me some way cool bath stuff!Time to cut the cake!
It was the best birthday ever, for sure!

Thanks, everyone, who came to the party, and sent birthday greetings, and just showed me the love~!

You are all so great!

17 comments:

Annette Lyon said...

Sounds like a great time all around! I'd like to be able to say I'm a runner, but I doubt those words will ever escape my lips.

Jan said...

Great job Loralee. You are super great. You are just as cute as a button for 45. Hard to believe.

Erin said...

Very cute hair! And I can't believe you ran 10 miles. And I can believe that you said "short" distances were 2 or 3 miles. I have never run more than a mile. I'm glad you had a nice birthday.

Missy said...

That was a really fun day!!! one of the best Birthdays I've ever had too!!! (living vicariously thru you) It was just fun Surprising you that morning as well as that evening! I love surprises:)

Lara Neves said...

Congrats on the ten miles and Happy Birthday! Like Annette, I don't think runner is one of the ways I'll ever be able to describe myself. But go you!

Lisa @ Pulsipher Page said...

Happy Birthday and congratulations on 10 miles. Wow, thats great! Your hair looks great too.

The Birthday Group said...

Happy Belated Birthday!!!! It is so awesome that you ran 10 miles...Congratulations. I love your hair and what a wonderfully, sweet husband you have....You are so blessed!

mCat said...

Holy crap! I was your birthday? We need to be friends on facebook so I'll get a reminder!

Now about your run.......YESSSSS!!!! I could kiss that Missy for tricking you! How awesome is that? 10 miles girl! I couldn't be prouder of you! What a great feeling. And I can imagine the endorphins coursing your veins at having EXCEEDED a goal. Nothing better.

And your salon treatment? I'm not gonna lie...... you look younger than your profile pic at the top of your page! Best be updating it to the younger, hawter you!

Happy late birthday!

xoxoxox

Kate said...

Happy happy birthday. I can't believe you are 45, you look so great. I wish I looked that good and I am only 42. Great on 10 miles. It does make you feel accomplished that is for sure. Have a great week.

Messy Jess said...

Happy Birthday! I have a blog award for you over at Messy Jess!

Amber M. said...

Whoo-Hoo! Good for you on the run! Maybe we can run one together this fall...

And happy, happy birthday. It sure looks like pretty much the perfect day. You deserved it!

LyndiLou said...

WOW OH WOW!!! 10 MILES!!! That is just amazing!!! Good for you! I think that is just terrific! I would love to be able to do a 5k someday... but maybe I'll have to have another goal! 10 miles by 45! WOW!!!


What a great birthday!!! 45 is the year already, isn't it! Your hair looks beautiful!!! Sounds like you had an awesome day... I'm sooo glad!

Sunshine Designed said...

Happy Birthday (Late). Hooray for running! I'm so proud of you and your story gives me inspiration. I was just telling my husband after my 2 miles yesterday, that I was feeling discouraged about my upcoming 1/2 marathon. I didn't know if I really could do it since 2 miles was tough that day! You have given we courage and inspiration to press forward. Thank You! Any good running tunes?

susette said...

I'm so sorry I missed wishing you a happy birthday. I have been absent for a few days and come back to missing one of the funnest people in blog lands birthdays. Well, happy birthday late!! You look so cute and I'm so jealous at your running skills. I am going to do this someday. I seriously just gotta get me some GOOD shoes and a good partner who will push me and then I could probably start attempting it. You are a great example and I appreciate you posting about this.

Vicki Johnson said...

I am sooooo proud of you!
I want to do that!
I love your hair, you look fabulous, nothing better than looking fabulous on your birthday! OK, maybe running 10 miles then looking FABULOUS!

YOU ROCK!

Abby said...

Aww, happy birthday! Sorry I missed it. I'm more sorry I missed the cake.

10 miles?? That's impressive! I'd be surprised if I've run that much in a lifetime.

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! and CONGRATS On the RUNNING!!!!!! that is wonderful!
you have the sweetest family ever!!!!